Monday, July 30, 2012

Lily Pads and Lotus Flowers

Recently we visited some friends who are staying at a little cottage on Brooks Lake, near Newaygo, Michigan. Its kind of a shallow lake, especially on the little cove where the cottage is. So we floated around on inflated rafts and stayed nice and cool! I really wanted to get some close-up photos of the lily pads and flowers so I put my camera in a zip-lock bag and floated out to them. I took a ton of pictures after very carefully taking the camera out of the bag and putting the strap around my arm! The flat leaves that are right on the water's surface are the real lily pads but the ones that grow "up" out of the water are actually lotus plants. I just read that online this past week!


The yellow flowers remind me of something from Star Wars, like one of those mechanical eyeballs that would pop out of the sand and spy on everyone! But these bright flowers are so pretty! The dragonflies and bees liked them too!

1 comment:

  1. I always love waterlily photos! I didn't realize that the yellow ones are actually lotus. We have many shallow lakes as well in my part of Michigan--with plenty of waterlilies--I just haven't been able to get close enough to get a photo this summer.

    ReplyDelete